Bags under the eyes are unwanted signs of aging. It is seen as puffiness and swelling of the eyelids. As you grow older, the tissues around your eyes weakens and the fat which normally supports the surrounding eye droops to the lower eyelid giving it the puffy appearance. At times, fluid may also accumulate around the eyes to add to the swelling. Eye bags are rarely a sign of an underlying medical condition and are more of a cosmetic concern. As for dark circles under the eyes, it is due to the prominence of the blood vessels under the skin in that area that gives it the darkened appearance. There are a few causes for eye bags and dark circles :
- Lack of sleep
One of the most common causes for eye bags and dark circles. Lack of sleep prevents your body from flushing out the excess fluids and this ends up in the loose skin around your eyes. An adult on average should have at least 8 hours of sleep. The lack of sleep also causes the blood vessels under the eyelids to expand causing the darkening of the skin around the eyes.
It is an unavoidable process of the body for the skin to loosen and for muscles to weaken. Due to this, there is displacement of the fat around the eyes. The eyes are the most prominent part of the face hence, these changes are very much noticeable. As we age our skin also thins out making the underlying vessels more prominent.
There are a few unhealthy lifestyle habits which hasten the development of eye bags and dark circles. Cutting down high salty food from your diet reduces eye bags. Always remove your makeup before sleeping as this can cause the skin around your eyes to age faster and wrinkle up.
It is quite harmful to your skin as the tobacco kills your healthy cells and hastens your skin’s aging process. Tobacco fumes also dehydrates the skin causing it to retain fluid to prevent dehydration. The lack of sleep in smokers due to nicotine withdrawal also causes dark circles.
During an allergic reaction your body releases histamine, they are responsible for the swelling and puffiness around the eyes. Histamine also causes a reaction with the blood vessels under the skin causing it to dilate.
Unfortunately, we can’t run away from our genes. If your family members have a predisposition towards eye bags and dark circles, then it is very likely that you would also suffer from the same condition.
- Medical conditions
In some cases eye bags and dark circles are a sign of an underlying medical condition. If no treatment works to reduce the eye bags, it is best to see a doctor to rule out any medical issues.
How to remove eye bags and dark circles without surgery?
The home remedies for eye bag and dark circle removal are :
- Cold compress : Icing the area around your eyes helps shrink the blood vessels and tauts the skin, reducing the swelling and puffiness
- Reduce salt and fluids before bedtime : By doing this you will reduce the fluid retention throughout the night.
- Quit smoking : It not only helps with your skin but your overall health.
- Rest : Get your required amount of sleep so that your skin is healthy the next morning.
- Pillows : Use a slightly elevated pillow while sleeping to prevent fluid retention in the face while sleeping.
- Antihistamines : If you are prone to allergic reactions, ask your doctor for a antihistamine dose and avoid allergens to prevent allergic reactions from happening.
- Makeup : You can cover up the dark circles and eye bags with concealers if required.
- A more permanent method to remove eye bags is by ultrasound. It involves high intensity ultrasound beams directed into the area beneath the eyes to promote collagen synthesis, this in turn reduces eye bags and dark circle formation.
- Botox injection into the eyelids also helps remove eye bags.
- Laser resurfacing surgeries are also known to help reduce eye bags and dark circles around the eyes.
How does non surgical eye bag and dark circle removal work?
The non-surgical method for eye bag and dark circle removal is done using high intensity ultrasound frequency. It is a non invasive and extremely safe method. This ultrasound is directed towards the target area like the eyelids and under eye. The ultrasound frequency stimulates collagen formation. This new collagen formation then strengthens the tissue and muscles beneath the eyelid reducing the appearance of eye bags and the collagen also reduces the dark circles under the eyes by thickening the skin of the eyelid.
How long does the procedure take?
It is a very short term procedure taking only upto 2 to 3 hours, with a 30 minute duration per area depending on how many areas of the face need to be targeted.
Which other treatments are used to treat eye bags and dark circles?
There are many ways to reduce eye bags and dark circles from the face. Some of the treatment choices available are plasma rich platelets, mesotherapy, dermal fillers, botox injections, laser resurfacing methods and even eyelid surgery.
- PRP ( plasma rich platelets ) : injecting one’s own centrifuged platelet and plasma into the skin to promote skin collagen formation and new skin turnover.
- Mesotherapy : a cocktail of brightening agents injected beneath the skin using microneedling technique to reduce dark circles and promote collagen formation.
- Dermal fillers : adding fillers to the lower eyelids to reduce the drooping and sagging of the skin. Also, to provide a more fuller appearance.
- Botox injections : injecting Botulinum into the skin to paralyse the muscles and hence, firming the skin of the eyelids and removing the wrinkles around the eyes.
- Laser resurfacing therapy : lasers are directed to the skin of the eyelids to stimulate collagen formation beneath. This causes the skin to be more plump and reducing the puffiness.
- Eyelid surgery : Blepharoplasty is done by removing the excess fat beneath the eyelids and resuturing them giving them a more tightened appearance.
Does it hurt?
The high intensity ultrasound therapy has minimal to no discomfort post procedure. There may be slight discomfort during the procedure but that resolves once the procedure is over.
How long does the result lasts?
The results varies for every individual. As eye bags are a sign of aging, it will recur naturally. Post treatment few touch up sessions may be required based on the individual. The results for the high intensity ultrasound treatment lasts for around 6 months upto a year, but that also depends on post procedure eye care and maintenance.
Are there any side effects to the eye bad and dark circle removal treatment?
There may be slight redness and tenderness of the skin beneath the eyes post procedure but it will subside within a few days with a cold compress application. There are no long term side effects noted for this procedure. This method has been approved by the FDA and the local authorities to be safe for usage.
What are the advantages for this procedure?
The advantages for these procedures are :
- that it is extremely safe and non invasive
- it is a non surgical procedure
- shorter procedure time and it is an outpatient procedure
- zero downtime following the procedure and the person may resume their daily activities immediately
- minimal discomfort and minimal to none side effects following the procedure
- it is long lasting and more naturally appearing results
Tips for the aftercare of the procedure
- Quit smoking as it would lead to eye bag and fluid retention
- Avoid alcohol for some time to prevent fluid retention
- Avoid strenuous eye activities like excessive computer usage or watching television
- Always keep the skin moisturised and clean
- Always remove makeup before sleeping to prevent damage to the skin
- Drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fruits
- Ice your eyes if there is tenderness or redness following the procedure
*Results May Vary
*Results May Vary
*Results May Vary
*The above pictures are for illustration purposes only. Your results may vary.
Ultrasound Eye Bag Removal – Non-surgical Treatment is available in many areas in Malaysia like Kuala Lumpur, Bukit Bintang, Titiwangsa, Setiawangsa, Wangsa Maju, Kepong, Segambut, Bandar Tun Razak, Cheras, Subang Jaya, Petaling Jaya, Mont Kiara, Puchong, Bandar Sunway, TTDI, Seri Kembangan, Klang, Bukit Tinggi, Damansara, Sentul
Get A Free Consultation
Drop us a message and we will be more than happy to schedule you for a consultation with our esteemed doctors or alternatively we will send you a quick quote for the desired treatment.
Ultraformer Eye Bag Removal Reviews
“I’m 27, and had huge bags under my eyes until my session with Dr. Jasmine. I would get asked if I was tired at least once a week by everyone who sees my face, and the irony is I’m pretty healthy – my diet is good, I exercise often. But this was genetics, and no tea bags or fancy under eye cream helped. I went in mid-December of last year for a consultation. I was really apprehensive about the whole procedure. But it turned out great and i have no issues, I am damn satisfied with the treatment. Thank you so much Doctor.“
“I got the Ultraformer treatment done at Nexus to fix some bags underneath my eyes and saw results just minutes after the procedure. They made the experience as comfortable and painless as possible and as a first-timer for any cosmetic procedure, I was really pleased with the results! It lasted about a year and it looks really natural.“
*Results May Vary
*Results May Vary
*Results May Vary